It is a common belief that Games Workshop has settled into something close to a bi-annual, alternating rotation for updating the “editions” (main rules) of their two main games of Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40K (does LoTR/the Hobbit still count as “main game”?). If that is true, the next edition of Warhammer Fantasy Battle – 9th Edition – may be less than a year away.
- 2004 – Warhammer 40.000 4th Edition
- 2006 – Warhammer Fantasy 7th Edition
- 2008 – Warhammer 40.000 5th Edition
- 2010 – Warhammer Fantasy 8th Edition
- 2012 – Warhammer 40.000 6th Edition
- 2014 – Warhammer Fantasy 9th Edition (?)
In a similar vein, many people believe Games Workshop is pushing for an update of Warhammer Fantasy Battle sooner rather than later because the last, 8th Edition of the game didn’t do very well (it still seems easier to find a game of Fantasy than 40K in my parts of the UK though).
Now early rumours were shared via Faeit212. If they hold a kernel of truth, the coming changes will certainly be more than cosmetic.
Warhammer Fantasy 9th Edition Rumours
New Rumors for the 9th Edition of Warhammer FantasyRelease
- All Softcover Armybooks will obsolet with the new release.
- The Starter Box will released at the same time as the Hardback Rulebook
- The Set will include a Book called “Armies of Warhammer”, this Book will handle simplified Armylists for ALL avaitable Armies.
- Armies of Warhammer will give Player a little view of all Armies and they Units, also it will be a transitional solution for the obsolet Armybooks
- Armies of Warhammer will be a part in the Hardback Rulebook
- The Rulebook in the Set will be a simplified “Starter Rulebook”
- A smaller complete Hardback Rulebook will released too, called “Warhammer – The Rules”Rules
- The ruleset will chance again, GW has recognized the last Edition was an hard inpact for sells of Warhammer products
- The number of special rules will reduced
- There will be no releases of Fantasy Suppliments, the books will contain more background. Page numbers up to 150 pages are possible!
Rumours being rumours and all that, it did seem like a good opportunity to have a brief discussion about the current state of Warhammer Fantasy Battle.
- Is Warhammer Fantasy in the doldrums where you game? More so than before 8th Edition?
- If so, what would it take to re-energize the game in your opinion?
- Are these rumours things you think would do the trick?
Let me know what you think and leave a comment!