Is there still a role for Terminators in a 6th Edition Space Marines army? Do you still field them with the new Warhammer 40K 6th Edition Space Marines Codex? If yes, how?
#1 – Space Marines Terminators in 6th Edition
It is one of the curiosities of Warhammer 40K 6th Edition that Terminators somehow got both better and worse at the same time.
- Better, because they can now laugh at a lot of close combat weapons (e.g power swords) that used to scare them.
- Worse, because there seems to be a lot more AP2 shooting out and about – even before Space Marines showed up with grav weapons.
- Better, because Deep-Striking is more valuable these days with “no deployment” armies gone.
- Worse, because Assault Terminators were always outshining their Tactical cousins, but assault has been (slightly) nerfed.
#2 – Terminators in the new Space Marines Codex
The new Space Marines Codex clearly didn’t show Space Marine Terminators much lovin’.
- All the fancy grav weapons went to the Power-Armoured Marines (who got cheaper as well).
- The Space Marines Centurions - at least in the shooty version – now lay claim to the 2+ firepower throne with T5 and more a lot more weapons all round.
- Assault Terminators have to pay an extra 5 pts. for the Hammer & Shield combo (since the Blood Angels Codex, that has been standard and was to be expected).
- Even Captain Shrike refuses to sneak about with Terminators these days.
#3 – What To Do With Space Marine Terminators?
Even with all these things said, it would be hard to argue that Space Marines Terminators are bad.
They still rock 2+/5++, can deep-strike if they want to, and have access to a lot of (classic) good weaponry, from cyclone launchers to thunder hammers.
Is that good enough? As most Space Marine players tend to have a solid collection of Terminators, lets give this one a whirl.
- Would you still field Terminators in 6th Edition with the new Space Marines Codex (not Deathwing, or Loganwing, etc… just plain Space Marines)?
- If so, Assault Terminators or Tactical Terminators?
- What role would you assign them to? Deathstar? Line-breaker? Mop-up crew in reserve?
- What Chapter Tactics work best for Space Marines with a Terminator squad or two?
Leave a comment!